Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Other’s Perception


By Anum Durrani
Like many other students I started off my academic life as a pre-medical student with all the high spirits and hopes to become a medical professional but soon I ended up staying outside the college waving to other friends and wishing them all the very best for their future. I  had no choice but to enter the university of Karachi but what department?  was the next question haunting me , no science anymore was my gut feeling and finally I ended up joining the department of mass communication and here I am writing blogs , trying to  initiate as a blogger.
Through these blogs, I at least, have the liberty to write whatever I feel either good or bad, that my teacher will decide.
Apart from writing and department, the experience of entering the university was completely different, people have entirely different assumptions about the university, Karachi university ………… awami. It’s the first words that comes to the mind of many and trust me I was also sent to the university as a punishment, only to know the actual talent and reality of life...
Recently I had an opportunity to attend a workshop where students of different universities were also participants and from them I actually came to know their perceptions about the university. It was an eye opener, that despite of producing largest number of PHD’s the university is considered to be a place of political; activities and menace only. But to some extent my fellow friends were able to change their views about the university and they ended up admiring our mentor. See this is it why we say that interaction is important with other educational institutions too.
The people of Karachi no more believe that university is a safe place to send their children to, classes do they take place? Yes of course, they do this is the reason we write our blogs in a regular manner, does your teachers show up? Of course they do. Wow, this is so strange you people actually study was the answer of many. It was pretty disappointing for us because, we the students of KU walk miles and miles to study at different departments and look at these people asking such questions. Alas, all are efforts are dashed to the ground.
But it’s never too late to mend we can change their perceptions by little more efforts. Let’s begin our journey with the next step only….

3 comments:

  1. Well I agree with you on the whole but I didn't hear this word "awami" for Karachi University at all. The first thing which I heard about KU was to beware of the clashes and the party people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree as our society is divided into many strata and people often think of public sector universities as a no go areas.

    ReplyDelete